Sunday, April 18, 2010

Cool...by the pool....


With warm summer fun just around the corner I seem to be thinking about vacation spots a lot lately. However, the places I have been thinking of are not anywhere near where I am actually going this summer which is New Hampshire. The vacation spots I keep thinking of are in warm locales with a pool and a very cool vibe. Coincidentally they all seem to be places designed by, you guessed it, Kelly Wearstler. If you cannot deduce from this and a previous posting, I am a fan.


Back in the late 1990's she had designed the Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, pictured througout this post, which was a dilapidated hotel originally built in the 1940's. Her application of mid-century design throughout the space basically soared her to design stardom.

If you happened to have read the third of issue of Lonny Magazine, then you are aware that Ms. Wearstler has gone in and given the space another facelift in honor of the hotel's 10-year anniversary. Although the space still maintains that mid-century design feel which is very modern, there are elements that I think resemble the Memphis Movement: such as the ceramic sculptures Wearstler included in the space as seen above.




Above are just a couple of before and after pictures showing comparisons of the changes. In the cabanas a graphic pattern has been applied to the walls, the arched lamp that was previously in the cabanas has now been replaced with the Arco lamp, and all of the furniture has been replaced with new lounge pieces. In the restaurant the Platner chairs are still grooving their mid-century vibe. A graphic pale blue and white pattern has been applied to the ceiling. The bar back which was previously covered in wood is now covered in Cippolino marble and the terrazzo flooring is still intact.

Don't get me wrong, I am sooo excited about my vacation in New Hampshire this summer, but I definitely think that a vacation in a Wearstler-designed hotel is in the future...



1 comment:

Cindy said...

I absolutely love the style of the Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills. Talk about wishful summer vacations...I love the color schemes, love the vibe. Any takers for a 4 day weekend in L.A ;) ??