Friday, April 16, 2010

Thinking Pink by the Poolside...

The other day I was in Barneys New York and I stumbled upon this fantastic colored acrylic tray in a diamond pattern. It made me stop in my tracks and my mind sent me sitting poolside sipping cocktails served on this tray.




The setting: A scene right out of a Slim Aarons photograph as shown here from his book A Wonderful Time: An Intimate Portrait of the Good Life.

The cocktail: "In-the-Pink Drink" A cocktail I have been wanting to try at home after having seen the recipe in the April issue of Traditional Home.


In-the-Pink Drink (Recipe by Heather Christothoulou)
Ice
6 cups ruby red grapefruit juice
1 cup pomegranate juice
1 cup ice-cold vodka
Fresh mint sprigs

Fill large pitcher half way with ice. Add 6 cups grapefruit juice, pomegranate juice, vodka, and some fresh mint leaves. Stir to mix. Serve in chilled glasses. Garnish with mint sprig. Makes 8 servings.

Note: For nonalcoholic version, omit grapefruit juice and vodka. Replace with 7 cups raspberry lemonade. Combine as directed.

Sadly, the tray is no longer available in pink, but comes in citrusy yellow, cool grey, and faux tortoiseshell.

Although I won't have the pink acrylic tray, or the pool for that matter, perhaps this weekend I can still put on my mixologist's apron...

3 comments:

sarah, flourish design + style said...

Hi Erin! That sounds like a great drink - both ways + the tray is just gorgeous! Great blog! xo

Erin @ Kelly and Horne said...

Thanks Sarah for not only adding the very first comment to my blog, but for also being my very first follower! You too have a great blog and I love the "todays hint of pink" segment. Cheers! Erin

Erin @ Kelly and Horne said...

Tested the "In-the-Pink" Drink and trust me when I say that it is delicious! I highly recommend it.